Hello and Happy New Year!
Below is a summary of several employer updates to be aware of for 2022:
- CA has extended the indoor mask mandate through February 15th.
- CA’s minimum wage was increased on January 1st to $14 per hour for small employers and $15 per hour for employers with 26 or more employees. Several categories for exempt employees also have increased wage minimums for 2022.
- Cal/OSHA’s enforcement authority was expanded by creating two new violations— “enterprise-wide” violations and “egregious” violations.
- Agricultural workers will now receive overtime after 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week (for large Ag employers with 26 or more employees)
- A new law effective January 1, 2022 (SB 331), expands on previous prohibitions of confidentiality clauses in severance and settlement agreements. If you have a confidentiality section in your employee handbooks, that section will likely need to be updated.
- If your employee handbook included a section (or addendum) regarding the EPSL and/or the CA COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave, those should be removed or edited as the laws expired on September 30th, 2021.
- This Friday, January 14th, the newly revised Cal/OSHA COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) go into effect for CA employers. Attached is a summary of some key elements of the updated standards.
- OSHA published an ETS that also requires employers with 100 or more employees to develop and implement a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. A final Supreme Court ruling on the stay of this mandate should be issued sometime this month.